Quick SQL Server checklist
What do you check if you only have a limited amount of time to review a SQL Server. You can''t run your usual set of scripts. All you have is pen, paper and maybe a query window to run some T-SQL.
This is what I would try to gather.
a) Physical server
- Name (fully qualified) and IP address/addresses
- Amount of memory
- Number of CPUs
- Disks, capacity and free space
b) SQL Server
- Build number
- min and max server memory
- CPU affinity
- index fill factor
- backup compression
- cost threshold for parallelism
- recovery model
- compatibility level
- autoshrink, autoclose, autocreate stats etc - anything weird?
d) Scheduled jobs
- Backups (full and transaction logs)
This should give you a sneak peak into the health of the server and any big ticket items that may need immediate attention.